i’ve been on a healthy binge lately (i hate “diets”… there’s a difference between starving yourself and using food to nourish your body), and i’ve had to come up with healthy alternatives to my favorites. well, stuffed peppers are definitely one of my favorites. the cheesier, the better! matt and i could eat them every night and not get tired of them.
well, here’s a tasty, appetite-killing, healthy version! (it’s yummy, i promise! i wouldn’t give you guys un-yummy recipes!)
this makes 4 servings, at about 305 calories per serving for beef or 115 calories per serving with tofu. WOO!
– 2 medium, red bell peppers = 15 calories per pepper. seriously!
– 1 lb ground beef (i used 70/30 because they were out of 80/20 at the store. hmph.) = 280 calories for 1/4 of it OR 1 package of tofu, finely chopped (1/4 of it = about 90 calories)
– 1/3 cup chopped onions = 15 calories
– 1/2 cup chopped spinach (i used frozen) = 30 calories
– garlic, if you want. i used garlic salt = zero cals (well, 5 calories in a teaspoon, but you won’t use anywhere near that. so it’s a negligible amount)
– seasonings, like this “perfect pinch” mediterranean herb. it smells like enchiladas to me. YUM! = zero cals
1. pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
2. put aluminum foil on a cookie sheet… or pizza pan… lol
3. cut your bell peppers in half
4. in a medium bowl, mix your fresh/thawed ground beef (*or finely chopped tofu), onions, spinach, and seasonings
5. place a 1/4 of the meat mixture (that sounds gross) or tofu mixture in each 1/2 of a pepper. i clearly was experimenting in the picture below, haha. don’t do what i did in the picture.
6. place in oven for 35-40 minutes
7. take out, let cool, & DEVOUR!
i need to take pictures of the tofu one… sorry!
lemme know what you guys think!